EBSCO Information Services (EIS) provides a complete and optimized research solution comprised of e-journals, e-books, and research databases — all combined with the most powerful discovery service to support the information needs and maximize the research experience of our end-users. Headquartered in Ipswich, MA, EIS employs more than 3,300 people worldwide. We are the leader in our field due to our cutting-edge technology, forward-thinking philosophy, and top-notch workforce. EIS, a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., based in Birmingham, AL, is ranked in the top 200 of the nation’s largest, privately held corporations according to Forbes magazine. EBSCO is a company that will motivate you, inspire you, and allow you to grow. We are looking for the best. If you are too, we encourage you to explore our unique opportunities.
The Systems Architect (SysA) is a Lean-Agile leader who has the technical responsibility for the overall architectural and engineering design of the system. The Systems Architect along with the Solution Architect interfaces with business stakeholders, cross functional teams, customers and suppliers to participate in the definition of the higher-level functional and nonfunctional requirements, analyze technical trade-offs, determine the major components and define the interfaces and collaborations between them. They also validate technology assumptions and evaluate alternatives. The SysA serves as the primary architectural coach for each team on an Agile Release Train (ART), ensuring that team-led design runs in sync with the product/solution architecture and underlying platform architecture. The SysA also serves as a technical subject-matter expert, providing technical enablement with respect to subsystems and capability areas. The SysA understands the complexities of large-scale solution development and applies Lean and Agile practices to design systems that positively impact customer or partner satisfaction, quality, time to market and overall business objectives. Primary Responsibilities:
- Participate in planning, definition and high-level design of the solution
- Work directly with agile teams to implement solutions
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Define subsystems and their interfaces; allocate responsibilities to subsystems; understand solution deployment
- Work with internal customers, stakeholders, and suppliers to establish high-level solution intent
- Establish critical nonfunctional requirements at the solution level
- Participate in quarterly high-intensity company-wide planning exercises
- Interact regularly with business stakeholders about features under development
- Plan and develop architecture in support of upcoming business Features/Capabilities
- Passion for Lean: Appreciates the depths of Lean practices and principles and role models Lean and Agile behaviors.
- Strategic Thinking/Visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Collaboration: Strong team player who breaks down silos and works effectively with teams and stakeholders to establish and accomplish business objectives.
- Negotiating and Consensus Building: Manages, negotiates and coordinates with technology, business stakeholders, subject matter experts, development teams, and enterprise architects to build strategy and processes that support the achievement of business objectives.
- Requirements Analysis: Gathers, organizes and evaluates any information or data needed as input from stakeholders and development team to determine requirements and specifications.
- Business Analysis: Evaluates many competing factors to form correct judgments and recommendations that balance current and anticipated business and technology needs.
- Communication: Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with ability to articulate both technical and business ideas clearly and simply from team level to board level to large external audience.
- Technical Acumen: Exhibits keen interest in technology innovation. Experienced architect of large scale, complex, transformational solutions.
- Positive Attitude
- Good Judgement
- Open Communication
- Desire to Make an Impact
- Eager to Understand
- Team Player
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems or related field of study. Master’s Degree preferred or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of experience of building complex server side solutions in Java
- 8+ years of experience with SOA/REST/Microservices concepts
- 8+ years of experience working with relational and NoSQL databases
- Demonstrate strong knowledge and experience applying enterprise patterns to solving business problems
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical professionals
- Familiarity with AWS cloud based technologies
- 2+ years of experience building complex Big Data solutions
- Familiarity with model driven architecture
- In depth technical understanding of systems, databases, networking, and computing environments
EBSCO Industries, Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. EBSCO strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), age, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, promotion, discipline, compensation, benefits, and termination of employment.
EBSCO complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Nearest Major Market:
Durham Nearest Secondary Market:
Raleigh Job Segment:
Architecture, Information Systems, Engineer, Cloud, Computer Science, Engineering, Technology Apply now
About this company
EBSCO Way is the philosophy we grow by. In addition to ten operating principles, these are the characteristics we value in our people and teams. We strive to fill our businesses with teams of motivated, positive people, unified by a shared set of principles and practices, focused on common objectives. We know from experience that environments like that create success and endless possibilities. We strive for a culture of entrepreneurship. We seek new ideas and encourage innovation. Successful team members are entrepreneurial by nature.
Location/Region: Durham, NC (US)