This is a full-time, 9 or 10 month position in the Business & Public Services Technologies Division. This individual will teach courses in the Culinary and Baking/Pastry Arts disciplines. In addition to carrying out the duties of an instructor, the Lead Instructor, Culinary Arts will coordinate, oversee, and provide leadership for the Culinary program that leads to a certificate, diploma, or associate’s degree.
Full Time or Part Time: Full Time
Essential Duties Summary
The position includes the following responsibilities and expectations:
- In addition to her/his primary duty as an instructor, the lead instructor is responsible for administration and quality in a specific instructional discipline/program or set of disciplines or programs.
In addition to full-time instructor duties, the lead instructor will perform these duties as they apply to the discipline/program of the lead instructor:
- Being generally familiar with the North Carolina Community College System Combined Course Library and Curriculum Standards and keeping the Wilkes Community College catalog listings and other marketing tools current and accurate.
- Assisting the Departmental Chairperson or Dean of Division in maintaining academic currency (in conjunction with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, if any) by providing leadership for curriculum revision and development.
- Assisting the Departmental Chairperson or Dean of Division in long- and short-range planning and determining an annual budget.
- Assisting the Departmental Chairperson or Dean of Division every semester in preparing academic schedules and in selecting textbooks (in consultation with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, if any), and submitting accurate and timely information for the division schedule and textbook order.
- Recommending appropriate and current equipment, performing equipment inventories, maintaining equipment in good working condition, and taking necessary steps to ensure student safety around equipment.
- Recruiting, mentoring, and evaluating qualified adjunct instructors (in conjunction with other full-time faculty members in the discipline, as appropriate).
- Creating and maintaining current syllabi (in conjunction with other fulltime faculty members in the discipline, as appropriate) and ensuring that syllabi are posted as required for all sections of all courses being taught each semester.
- Recommending appropriate persons to serve on the division advisory committee, facilitating advisory committee meetings, and maintaining contact with the advisory committee members.
- Ensures kitchens and laboratories are clean, organized, and ready for inspection by maintaining sanitation and safety standards and uniform requirements.
- Planning and purchasing food and other supplies for instructional purposes as well as live project activities within budget and maintaining accurate records in required format for auditing purposes.
- Advising the Culinary club, including coordinating club events, fundraising, and activities.
- Fulfilling other responsibilities as assigned by the Departmental Chairperson, Dean of Division, or Vice President of Instruction.
- Associate degree in Culinary Arts or related field
- Three years professional culinary experience working in the capacity of Sous Chef or Executive Chef
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Evidence of culinary competency, which may include ACF certifications such as Certified Executive Chef (CEC), Certified Chef de Cuisine (CCC), or Certified Sous Chef (CSC), and/or established track record of high performance in well-regarded culinary operations as Sous Chef, Executive Chef, etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines
- Baccalaureate degree in Culinary Arts or related field
- Five years’ experience working in the capacity of Sous Chef or Executive
- Experience in purchasing and cost control
- Well versed in and experienced in classical and contemporary styles of service
- Experience teaching in higher education
Posting Number 10079P
Open Date 04/20/2018
Close Date 06/08/2018
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicant must complete the Wilkes Community College online application process which includes a cover letter, a resume, and unofficial college transcripts (if hired, official college transcripts will be required).
Location/Region: Wilkesboro, NC (US - 28697)